Thursday, April 7, 2011
A new perspective
After my trip to California, I began documenting a volunteer tutorial program that I have participated in for a while and took on an additional student from my former middle school. Working with students one on one offers a perspective that teachers don't always pick up on when teaching the group. Both students that I started working with are African American students of low SES. Although I am not amazed by their potential, I am excited as they feel comfortable sharing some of their hopes and aspirations. When I think of these students, I can't help but place myself and my own children in their shoes. If not for my parents committment to my education and the support of church and other family, would I be in the position that I am in. As for my own children, I love to brag on them, but they are not rocket scientists at 2 and 6 (but maybe they could be one day). They are well adjusted, smart kids because I know how to advocate for their education. Are kids who don't have that support system any less worthy of what I desire for my own children? Of course they aren't. Although I already knew this, I am reminded of how children from backgrounds similar to my little mentees crave relationship. They want to know and experience their teacher on a deeper level. These relationships formed are so important. As we worked through math, I began to ask the student I am working with about his family and his future aspirations. This broke the ice and better facilitated our work in math and gave him the confidence to ask me questions when he did not understand. Some schools have mentorship programs where students are assigned such an advocate. Possibly, more programs like these would help some studnets become more invested in their schools and help them position themselves along higher continuums of perceived ability. I go to visit my student again tomorrow and will update further.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, look at my urban students and compare their lives to my life growing up and the lives of my own children. Every child needs to know adults believe in them and support them. When I was the resource teacher at my school, the children did not trust me. They told me off, walked out of the classroom, and did completely inappropriate things. I took some time to let the children talk. Like you said, it was an ice breaker. After that the children rushed to see me and I had trouble getting them to return to class. It only took a few minutes out of my lessons to make such a huge improvement in classroom management. I have found that to be true in my various positions at my school.
ReplyDeleteI wish more teachers would recognize the value of relationships.
ReplyDelete