My 6 year old daughter has just started Spring soccer. Last season was her first season and although she's my pride and joy, she's no Mia Hamm! Although it's probably quite certain that she won't make a career out of playing soccer, her excitement is fascinating to watch. Additionally, the friendships she is building and the team work she is learning is wonderful. So, you might ask what this has to do with Urban students? If I had a dollar for every student that I've taught that wants to be a professional NBA or NFL player, I would actually be able to survive on my teacher's salary. (I don't hear you laughing, but that was supposed to be a joke).
Seriously, when a student tells us of such future desires, we cringe a bit because we know they probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery than acutally making it into the pro's. Instead of giving students like this a dose of reality, I think we need to learn to work with what motivates them. If a student is motivated by football, an effective teacher can use that motivation as a means to help that student perform in the classroom. Sure, we'd all love for students to be instrinsically motivated to learn and grow, but that doesn't always happen. Hopefully we can use sports as a way to encourage the same team building and frienship created on the field in the classroom and provide some students who may not have had the opportunity otherwise, to attend college.
So my daughter will stay on the soccer field and even if she never scores a goal I think that what she'll learn on the field can help her achieve her goals.
She will likely learn much more than she is able to articulate at her age. The ability to work with others and as a team are essential skills for success in life.
ReplyDeleteI agree that educators should use student's interests as motivators. I encourage the adults I teach to keep their future goals and aspirations in mind as they deal with the 'little things' like a math test or research paper.